1. The blue whale is the largest animal to ever live on earth, larger than the dinosaurs!
2. The bowhead whale lives in the most specialized habitat of all the baleen whales, the shallow seas of the Arctic.
3. The gray whale is the only baleen whale that sucks in ocean sediment to filter gammarid amphipods from mud.
4. The omura’s whale is the newest addition to the baleen whale suborder, it used to be considered a type of bryde’s whale, but recent genetic tests proved otherwise.
5. The smallest baleen whale is the pygmy right whale averaging 20 feet in length.